Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Lawyer Visit #2

I met with my lawyer again yesterday. She's convinced that I can keep the kids in the name of my children's safety until the next court date. If he really wants to see them, make him get an emergency motion to prove why he should have them under his care. Otherwise, tough luck. She says our court order is vague enough that he can't have me arrested or charged for breaking a legally binding agreement. I think his lawyer must have told me the same thing. Apparently, he took his lawyer off retainer. The other thing is that yesterday (Tuesday) was his regular telephone call with the kids and he didn't even try calling. That means he knew I wouldn't let him talk, and he has probably been told not to push me on this. Interesting.

I got an update from the CAS worker yesterday. She called to tell me that she was still working on the case, and that she met my ex, and that he came across as very pleasant, as did his wife. I'm thinking 'yeah, well did you expect him to mouth off to the frickin CAS?!', but whatever.

Thankfully, my doctor warned her that this would happen. He told her that my ex comes across very well, but make no mistake, he needs the meds. Bless him.

So, the CAS worker has asked my ex if she can speak to his psychiatrist. He said he would think about it, but has also requested a conversation with her supervisor. I guess he doesn't like the approach she's taking. Good for her for going the extra mile. She says when she's done, she will draft up a summary letter. I'm guessing it won't have much, since she's not officially stopping his access or anything. On another note, she did tell me to make sure I subpoena her files if I go to court. That tells me there's something juicy in the file. Well, why the heck isn't it in the letter then? Sheesh. It just makes my job a heck of a lot harder. She also said that his wife seemed pleasant and would I be open to having her supervise my ex's visits with the kids. Well, how can I get someone that I don't know to supervise? And what reassurance do I have that she won't just say she's supervising but then not actually do it?

When I met with my lawyer she said we should start filing our court documents for full custody. This is going to cost over $10k-$30k. Crap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shaz

Just to cover yourself, make sure you have your kids safely in the care of someone you trust during the meeting. I don't want to be cynical, but your ex will know that you aren't with them when you meet with her. Also, keep your eyes open yourself because she may be setting up a meeting for him instead of her. Just a thought...

BF