Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Really Special Moment

My son can be a real darling. I was tucking him in today and as I walked out of the room, he said:

"Mommy, do you remember that night when we went to the restaurant after the autoshow, and I had that really bad time?"
"Yes baby, I remember". (More like- are you KIDDING me? It's all I can ever think about!)
"I was just remembering what I said. And I wanted to tell you that I will never say that nobody loves me ever again. Because I know that nobody has a mom like you and nobody's mom can love like you do, so I know I'm really really loved no matter what happens".

I had to hold back the tears. I ran to him, hugged him, and kissed him, and thanked him for talking to me. And then I told him that I would love him forever, no matter what happens in this world. He will always be my baby, and there is nothing that he can ever say or do that could be so bad that I will stop loving him.

And then he told me that he already knew that.

And then, at that moment, I found an instant feeling of peace. It was as if God himself was giving me the reassurance that I was on the right track. I just hope that I can make the right decisions for my children.

In the meantime, there is nothing that can compare to the reassurance that my son just gave me tonight. The warmth that I felt from that moment alone is the kind of thing that makes being a mother totally worth all the hard work, worrying, stress, and responsibility.

Sometimes, I realize just how lucky I really am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

reading this brought tears to my eyes (even though I already knew it from talking to you...)
s