Sunday, June 04, 2006

Terrorism in Toronto?

Well this is just great. I think we knew it was coming. I've met enough freaks in my day with weird enough views that I'm not totally surprised. That being said, I am really not looking forward to the backlash that the Torontonian Muslim Community is going to get as a result. In many ways, I'm glad I don't wear the hijab anymore. I know- sounds harsh. My hijabi friends are reading this and cringing, probably thinking I'm a traitor (sorry guys)- not a traitor, just stating my opinion. Sigh. Truth be told, the hijab was never for me. I feel like myself again, and I have no intentions of ever going back.

Anyhow, I got the email today from someone respected in our community, reminding us to talk to our children because of the questions and potential crap they will face when they go to school. Double sigh. In many ways, I wonder if I should bother, or if I should wait and see if they come home with anything. Why put them on the defensive from the get-go? I mean, for sure, there are people out there who will read up on the attempted terrorist thing and talk about those "damned Muslims" at home, and when those kids go to school, they may pick on some Muslim children, but....Is it wise to prepare children for that up front, or wait and see if it becomes an issue? I think I'm going to disagree with this...I'm going to wait and see what happens. If my son comes home with a complaint, I'll have the chat, AND go to the principal with the name of the kids who tease. If nothing happens, I get to avoid making my son super hyper sensitive and defensive. Sounds like a plan. God I hate being on the defensive. I'll avoid it at all costs if I can.

No comments: