Friday, February 04, 2011

The Butterfly Effect

Do you believe in the butterfly effect?

It's where they say that if you were to change one thing in your past, you would change ALL the outcomes that happened after that.

It's an interesting concept.

I've often wondered if I had the chance to change things would I have done things differently?  I've always said that my biggest regret in life was marrying my ex husband.  People have often responded that if I hadn't married him, I wouldn't have my children.  I've answered that with the thought that these children might have been in my life in another form, with another man...but what if that weren't true?

Then there are other things.  I wouldn't have had the drive to succeed professionally if I didn't have a deadbeat for a husband.  Really and truly- I pushed harder and harder at work, both because I was the primary breadwinner, and because work was my refuge from my miserable life at home.  My best friendships were formed at work, my social life happened through work colleagues, and of course, my financial independence happened because of work.

Then there is my personality- strong headed, independent etc- it's all a result of circumstances.

And of course, my children, who I adore.  I love them dearly, and they are here because of that marriage...as miserable as the marriage was, the children were my equity in a manner of speaking.

The butterfly effect.  Interesting concept.

No comments: