Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Is God Really that Good?

This is the question from my little guy tonight. Here is the background and reasoning behind his question.

He started off by asking how much "power" God has. I told him it was infinite power. God can do anything, even miracles. He proceeded to ask what is important to God. I replied that it's important to him that we conduct ourselves in a manner that is "good" and that we do everything we can to adhere to the "rules" that we are given- no lying, cheating, hurting others etc.

See, I don't think I'm fit to answer these questions, because I don't even think I know the answers myself to be honest. This has been a long path, and I seem to have taken the ultra scenic winding route to get here. I've gotten lost many times, and yet my journey continues. So how can I give suitable or appropriate answers about faith and God to my 7 year old boy?

Anyhow, I told him that we believe in God's infinite mercy. He looked at me for a second and said "Nope. You're wrong".

UM- OK- unless someone came and gave you, Mr. 7-yr-old, the cheat sheets to the Bible/Quran/whatever book you believe in, I really don't think I'm that wrong. But ok, why do YOU think I'm wrong?

"Why's that honey?"

"Because if God were that good he would only let goodness happen. And if he is that good, but he lets badness happen, then he isn't that powerful, because he didn't stop the badness. So either God isn't that good, or he isn't that powerful. Which is it?

Oh...my...God. Deductive reasoning from my 7 year old. I REALLY am not equipped to handle this...

Um- honey- what are you talking about? Honestly, he is good, and he does have infinite power...

"Ya right. If he were good, would he give a boy like me the meanest dad in the world? Wouldn't he use his power to stop all the mean things he says and does? Yes he would. But he doesn't. So he's not that good at all. And he doesn't protect us."

"Sure he does..."

"Nope- because I still cry alot cuz of my dad".

"He sent me to protect you. And that's what I've been doing. And I'm doing my best to make sure that you are always protected. You have to help me help you honey. If something happens, then you have to tell me so that..."

"That's it? He makes you protect me? Why can't HE protect me? Why doesn't he just freeze my dad when he's going to do something mean, or make his brain think like a nice person? Why doesn't he do something? I'm a little boy. I can't stop my dad. But God can. And he chooses not to".

I really have no answer for my son. I don't. Because I've been there. All those nights that I spent crying from the pain of the bruises, I asked the very same question- why did He allow this to happen? And I was just as angry then. The anger is going away now, but every now and then it resurfaces. And I'm seeing it in my son, and I have NO clue how to help, or what to say. After all, the real issue here isn't about God. It's about my son feeling unprotected, unsafe, and somewhat alone. It's about a man getting away with things he shouldn't be allowed to get away with and this reaction to God, this is just my son showing his frustration, and using his reality to shape his understanding of justice within the world.

And to think- my ex's lawyer says that I'm being mean spirited, and that I'm trying to manipulate the children by not letting him have more access. Yes, please...let's give the man more access. I can only imagine what kind of crap my son would be thinking up in that case. Like he isn't getting messed up enough as it is.

Sometimes I do wonder when God will answer our prayers. Tonight a little boy showed his loss in faith. I'm hoping something somewhere soon will help us bring it back. I think right now, all my eggs are in one basket. This court case JUST HAS to go my way. Keep your fingers crossed. Oh and a prayer or two wouldn't hurt, either...

No comments: