Saturday, July 07, 2007

The Security Blanket

This is so sad...it totally broke my heart. Two to three weeks ago, my daughter was looking through the linen closet, and pulled out an old Winnie the Pooh blanket from when she was little. She must not have used this blanket for at least three years. The sad part is she instantly held it to her face, said "soft, I like it", and hasn't put it down since. She wraps it around her body as she goes about her day, sleeps with it at night, holds onto it while watching tv. Basically, it's become her security blanket.

My daughter is 5. She's never had a security blanket before.

At first, I thought it was cute (yet, a bit concerning), but I let it go and didn't say anything. Two weeks later, I became really concerned, and was debating whether or not to take it away from her. I was thinking that maybe it wasn't healthy for her to carry around a security blanket. I mean, she never needed it before, and isn't she a bit old for that?

So, I called my therapist/friend Graham. His professional opinion- don't you dare take it away from her. Yes it's VERY concerning that she needs it, but she has found a physical object that is able to provide her with emotional comfort. Clearly, things are emotionally not good for her and she needs the extra crutch. Yes she is regressing. Yes it is concerning, but it's still healthier for her to have it as long as it's doing what she needs it to do. Ride it out.

OK- Fine. I can ride it out. But man, that had me in tears. I am doing the best I can to help keep my children in a good space. But along comes Mr. Jerko to topple everything over.

I just hope she feels better soon. I guess I have no option but to watch how long she needs the blankie. Let's hope that she feels emotionally stronger soon.

Thank God I've found an emotionally stronger space lately. I'm not sure where it's coming from, but it's definitely keeping me better equipped to help my children.

But just in case- Do they make security blankies for adults? Hmm- maybe they should...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shaz,

My two boys, and my niece and nephew both have Winnie-the-Pooh blankets. Do they carry them around all the time? No. But do they watch TV with them,sleep with them and like them on car rides? You bet! These kids have never been through anything similar to what your kids have and yet they find comfort in the same blankets. Don't worry about your daughter. There are worse things she could turn to for comfort.

BF