Monday, April 06, 2009

Friends with the Caretaker

Over the past few years, I have had the opportunity to get to know my children's school staff very well. Over the most recent 2 years, that also includes Violet, the school caretaker/janitor (I don't know what the politically correct term is, but you know who I am talking about). Recall that my son has ADHD. What that means is that on occasion, especially when he is not on medication (like at this time), he will forget things at school. Homework, textbooks, gloves, shoes, the works. In the case of homework, I get the joy of making late evening trips back to the school, getting the custodian to open the classroom door and sifting through my son's desk until we find the missing work. Sigh. The oh-so-many-joys of parenting.

Tonight, at 7:30, I went to the school and went through the routine. We went through my son's disaster of a desk, in which I found his last assignment. The one I took 4 hrs to do with him. And also the one (so he tells me tonight) that he couldn't find, forgot to hand in, and consequently got a zero on. Double sigh. Oh the joys of raising a child with ADHD.

So I leave the assignment on the desk and come home and email the teacher. Hopefully he will see the assignment and give him partial marks? I am so tired sometimes of doing all this work, packing backpacks only to have the child lose the assignment IN HIS DESK. Come ON!

Anyhow, the homework is now done, the email has been sent, and life is normal again. My son has lost some privileges, which I feel bad doing because of the attention deficit, but I feel I have to do or he will use it as his excuse for life. He may have ADHD, but that is an explanation, not an excuse. It means that he needs to work harder than other children at being organized. It means he needs a stricter routine, and yes, it may mean the medication is the solution. It means when he is off his meds, his desk will likely end up in disarray, but it also means that he needs to strengthen the skills so he can do a better job of keeping on top of it.

I will go back to the pediatrician in June and see what the next steps are with respect to medication. But in the meantime, he has to do better with organizational skills. We can't let everything keep sliding.

Anyhow, thank God for the caretaker. She just smiled and said "Little boys. Some need reminders to stay focused, and others don't. But all little boys are good kids". She reminded me that it happened a lot less this year than last year, and that he is a nice boy with a good disposition.

Silver Lining. Thank you Violet. For your patience, and understanding.

No comments: