Monday, September 01, 2008

Happy Ramadan!

Today is the first day of Ramadan. I'm so glad that it falls on a weekend day, because the first fast is always the most difficult. That and the fact that I was out late yesterday with my sister and brother in law in Niagara Falls, so I'm tired. Glad I'm not at work.

I got a mini scolding from my mom today, because I woke up before dawn for breakfast, but was too tired to eat. I had a glass of orange juice and a handful of nuts. Mom got mad, because she said that it's a long fast (goes till 8pm) and that a glass of juice was not sufficient. If I can't fast properly on my own, then I should come and stay with her and do it right. :) I love my mom. She cares so much about us. Where would I be without her?

I'm hoping to make this Ramadan a more spiritual one for myself and the children. I have to accept that my angst with religion has influenced the children, and so I need to at least let go of some of it, and bring back some of it for them. I plan to go to the mosque this Ramadan, and to take the children with me. I might even host and Iftaar (breaking fast) party at my home. And I intend to teach them how to pray. I know, it's all well overdue, but at least I have good intentions this year. That is a start.

It's 2pm right now. 6 hours till we can break fast, and now I'm feeling hungry. Methinks mom was right. Mental note, eat a proper breakfast tomorrow morning...

Mom is going for her knee surgery this month, either this Wednesday or next Wednesday. This is long overdue, so I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later. I would love to see mom walk without pain again.

Anyhow, now I sit, I pay bills, I wait for the kids to come home and for sunset so we can break fast :P

Happy Ramadan everyone!

No comments: