Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Visit from Mr. NYC

I spent a nice 2 days with Mr. NYC. He came to town, we hung out, and we took care of some legal matters with respect to the assessment. I'm tired now, as it has been a hectic and emotionally draining two days. I am so glad he was here with me.

I learned yet another thing about Mr. NYC. I always knew he was a patient man. However, I don't think even I knew just how patient he really is. And it took a mishap for me to find out. When we were on the way to the airport, I made us late. I wanted to go for dinner with the children. He kept saying that he would run late, miss his flight, but I insisted we had enough time. For some reason, I kept thinking his flight left at 8:45, but it left at 8:15. Turns out that he was right- on two counts. We were running late, and he did miss his flight. And it was all my fault. I apologized profusely, but in the end, it was a massive inconvenience for him. He had to catch an alternate flight to Newark instead of Laguardia, and then take a train to Manhattan, and then a cab to his car at Laguardia. The main point of this is not about my stupidity, but the fact that he was so awesome about it. Not once did he get mad, not once did he blame me. All he said is that it is not my fault, I didn't mean for this to happen and that blame and guilt are just not useful emotions, so we won't allow ourselves to feel either. Be happy he said. We are healthy, well, and we got to see each other. Just be happy.

Honestly, it is things like this that make me amazed at how awesome a person he is, and make me realize how lucky I am to be around him. In my past life, my ex would have lost it on me. I would have been called a host of names, none of which I care to write, and he would have yelled at my and shown me his temper for days if not weeks. It is absolutely amazing how different these two men are from one another. And it is shocking to me that I spent 15 years thinking all men would behave in a similar manner when something frustrating comes about. Thank God I am free.

No matter where life takes me, and where ever this relationship goes, I am truly glad to have met Mr. NYC, to have learned from him, and to have had him in my life. Every experience in my life, both good and bad have contributed to who I am. If nothing else, Mr. NYC is teaching me patience, hope, and the ability to love.

No comments: