Friday, May 16, 2008

A Future Vegetarian

Lately, my daughter has been totally turned off from meat. She actually has been refusing to eat meat, preferring vegetarian dishes. The problem is, most vegetarian dishes contain empty carbs such as rice, pasta and bread. When she asks to eat "just plain white rice" or "just pasta with sauce" I worry about her health. I'm trying to get protein into her as much as possible. I feed her Pediasure shakes to get the vitamins in.

All of this is stemming from her love of animals. She just cannot bear the thought that she is eating something that was once alive.

Yesterday we went out for dinner. I got my daughter an order of chicken nuggets and fries. Chicken nuggets because they don't have a bone, so she won't be reminded of what she is eating. Halfway through the meal, she stopped eating, and exclaimed with a look of horror:

"OH MY GOD MOMMY! Is a chicken nugget made of CHICKEN?!"

I tried to ignore the question, and my son answered "What else did you think it was?"

"OH MY GOD MOMMY! What do they do? They like catch a chicken, take off his feathers, fry him up and just eat him?! THAT IS SO SICK!"

And then she stopped eating. And to be honest, what she said made me feel a little disgusted too.

Sigh. You can never fool a child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mwa ha ha ha!!!

shaz said...

NICE.

I'm dying here. The girl is already iron deficient. Protein is a major issue too. I can only shove so many spinach and ricotta omelette's into her, and I can only make daal (lentil ) so many times a week.

Soon I will be coming to you for recipe ideas my friend...