Saturday, February 16, 2008

Our First Family Day Weekend

I'm grateful for the long weekend. This is the time of year where most Canadians are going crazy from all the crappy weather. I think I read last year that depression and suicide rates go up in February. That is scary.

Anyhow, it's great to have a long weekend, but I would really love to have some sunshine. I'll take what I can get for the time being.

Mom is starting to feel a bit better. She gave us all a bit of a scare. Apparently, she has the virus that has forced the credit valley hospital to close down 2 wards. The only difference is that while it lasts about 3 days for most people, it hit her for 10. I suspect that has alot to do with the fact that she is diabetic and that all her sugar levels are messed up. Fortunately, yesterday, she was able to keep one meal down, so I've got my fingers crossed that the worst is over.

As for this weekend, I spent today with a close friend, helping him run errands before he goes away to visit his family abroad. The children seemed to be ok with it, and I think they enjoyed the time together. One funny thing that I have observed with the children is that they love any activities which include one of my male friends. Sadly, I think they really miss the "family" feel, and even when it's not a parter/husband/etc, I think they just feel comfortable with the male presence in their lives. I'm just grateful that I have awesome male friends that can help me fill that gap. One downside- almost always, at the end of a day like that, one of the children will ask why I won't marry that friend. I reply that he is just a friend. Today my daughter asked " But can't you marry a friend?". I had to explain that yes of course you can, but I won't be marrying this friend. Sigh. Either way, I still think that despite these questions, it is still better for my children to have a male presence through my friends. You should see the sense of calm and contentment they get when we have those days with a male figure. Kind of sad isn't it? Thank God for these friends. Bless 'em...

On another note, I got an email from my ex this morning. He says he has a birthday party to go to on Sunday and that he wants the children on Sunday/Monday. Honestly, he is such a pest. I replied that no, I have plans with the children, and that given recent events, I do not feel right sending the children to him. In the future, our lawyers need to decide what to do with access, he cannot email and harass me like this.

Later on, when I was shopping with my friend and the children, my ex called again. He wanted to speak to the children, and then with me. What ticked me off is that he told my son that there was a birthday party and that I was not letting them go. So my son asked me if he could go. The only response I could give is that he cannot go, and that these decisions are adult discussions at this point. Honestly, my ex is a total pain in the butt. So, next my ex spoke to me, and insisted that I let the children go with him. I said no. Then he basically blamed me for the continuous escalations of our matter. He said that I created the hostility and that I am making it worse. I reminded him that I am not the one hurting the children. He said yes he made a mistake but I am making it worse. Thankfully, my friend quietly told me to hang up and end the call. He was SO right. I took his advice and that was that.

I am totally hoping this will end soon.

One issue though- my son told my ex that I would be taking him to the autoshow tomorrow. That is a problem. The last thing I need is to have my ex show up there to stalk us. One option is to go on Monday instead. Another is to go on Sunday anyways and tell my ex to take a hike if we see him (which may not be a good idea with the children present). Another option is not to go at all (although I hate the thought of him being able to change my plans like that). Sigh. I'll figure that one out tomorrow.

No comments: