Monday, February 11, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

I turned 36 on Saturday. I didn't have any plans this year, I was actually planning to spend it with my family. None of my friends remembered my birthday, (OK, well, two of them did call/email), so that was a bit lonely. I'm over it. That's how it goes I guess. Anyhow, I was hoping to spend the day with family, but my mom got sick.

She has a stomach virus, and normally that shouldn't be a big deal, but she is diabetic, and not eating/drinking for 3 days pushed her sugar levels to 4x the normal levels. We had to put her on an IV on Saturday, and she was brought home on Sunday. She was feeling better yesterday (Sunday) but is again worse today. If she doesn't get better by tomorrow morning, we will get her back to the hospital again for another IV drip. I've got my fingers crossed.

It was sad and scary seeing my mom in the hospital. When she said "I feel bad you have to be here with me on your birthday", I told her "Why? This is where it all started. I was born in a hospital, and we were here together. It's appropriate that I spend my birthday by your side".

Moms are precious. We need to do everything we can to be there with them when they need us.

On another note, I got an amazing email from a friend that brought me to tears. I was supposed to visit her on Sunday, but had to cancel because of my mom. She just emailed me and said she had baked a cake for my birthday. How totally sweet. I was teary eyed when I read the email. I feel so touched that she remembered, and that she made the effort.

I did also get flowers from Mr. NYC. Hooray for the awesome man in my life :) He gave me a present when he was here last week. Two brownie points for Mr. NYC! :)

As for the rest of life, I had another meeting with the assessor. He asked for a chronology of my relationship with my ex, from the start. I told the story right from when we met to our honeymoon and the first black eye. The funny thing is, I've never had to tell everything to anyone before- like, in order. Including how I felt, why I didn't leave, and why I married him in the first place. There are alot of things I couldn't remember, but he MADE me remember them. Things I would rather have forgotten. It was very emotional for me, and I found myself crying the whole way home.

This whole process is bloody draining. I feel totally spent.

And think...there are at least another two months of this left to go. I'm tired already. I've been telling my story for years, but this is just a whole lot more emotional.

No comments: