Friday, October 12, 2007

Eid Preparations

I took my daughter to an Eid bazaar last night. It was fun. She made one request of me two weeks back, and that was that she wanted a professional to put Mehndi (henna) on her hands for Eid. I took her to an Eid bazaar and she waited in line and got the henna done. $10 later, we went to the next booth and picked up some glass bracelets to match her lengha (indian dress). She was totally thrilled. I'm glad we managed to get out and have some fun.

This morning, she woke up and squealed with delight when she saw how dark the Mehndi was. She came and sat in my lap and asked if I made her spend too much money. I have no idea what made her think of the cost, but I told her that if she was happy, there was no need to worry about what it costed. I wanted to take her, she enjoyed it, I enjoyed it, and that is all that mattered. She told me that I was the best mom in the world (I love hearing that), and that she was SOOOOO happy because it's almost Eid. I felt good.

It was amazing to me how still my daughter was as they put the Mehndi on her hands and at how patient she was while she waited for it to dry. She made sure she didn't touch anything, or bump into anyone, so the Mehndi turned out perfectly. Sometimes, she is so much like me that it's scary.

Tonight, I have a few girlfriends coming over so that we can do our Mehndi for Eid. The kids will be home around 9pm, so they will get to enjoy the fun as well for a little while. I love Eid. It's so festive. :)

No comments: