Saturday, August 18, 2007

Mattel Recall

I just spent 20 minutes going through the Mattel site. I am not impressed. I mean, they are handling it as best as they can, but to be honest, this is my little girl. We didn't buy some cheapo toy, this was Mattel for Pete's sake. She played with that Polly Pocket Snow Hotel for a long time...with her brother! Both of them! I mean, I can go and pull all the parts together and ship it back to them (once they send me the return info), but man...this is just way to scary.

It does give their brand quite the hit though. I buy Mattel cuz its supposed to be best. I won't see them that way anymore, even though we all know mistakes can happen to the best of us. But even knowing it wasn't deliberate, I still feel that it wasn't cautious enough.

It will take a heck of a long time for them to earn back their reputation with me. I guess that eliminates half the toy market. There was most definitely a quality control issue, and although it is ultimately Mattel's fault for not managing the quality...I wonder if poisonous paint would have been used in the US or Canada? It's possible. For now, the main thing I'm hearing is that going after cheap labor costed us something here, and that still falls on Mattel. (Funny how none of these parents take issue with the fact that there are actually KIDS making these toys for other kids- that should be an issue too).

I know we have recall on North American made products all the time...it's the poisoning point that I'm having a major issue with at the moment. Had they been just loose parts, I wouldn't have felt so strongly...

I know- I sound unreasonable. I'm just annoyed and venting. I have the creeps from thoughts of my kids playing with stupid polly pocket and then eating with those hands. I tell them to wash first, but sometimes, kids put their hands in their mouths etc. ....I know...being paranoid. I'll stop.

The Daily Show did do a funny spot on the topic though. All that stuff about the Chinese kids deliberately poisoning our lazy, spoiled, North American kids...hilarious.

No comments: