Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Little Angels

My daughter gets her way again. There's something about her sleep patterns that I just don't understand. Well, that's a lie. I actually contributed to the problem. Being a second child, when she came home from the hospital, my ex and I let her sleep between us. That was a big mistake. Since then, she's never been able to sleep on her own. When my ex and I separated, and I moved in with my family for a year, she slept with me. Naturally, when I moved into this home in July, as delighted as she was with her princess room, she just can't sleep unless I'm with her. It's 10:30. I was trying to put her to sleep in her room so I could get some office work done. She kept rubbing her little eyes trying to stay awake because she knew that sooner or later I would get up and leave. At 10:15 she yawned and said..."Mommy- I'm waiting for you to go back to your room so I can come with you. When will that be?". OH GOOD GOD. The kid is waiting me out! Foiled!

I knew I had to get some stuff done so I caved. "Alright...Fine...Come with me". She beamed, walked with me to my room, got into the bed and fell right to sleep. Like, immediately. I was lying with her in her room wasting an hour and a half and she out-waited me. I suck at this game.

Well...Back to work. I have this little angel sleeping snuggled up next to me as I'm typing. I almost want to pick her up and put her in her bed. Almost. But that's my competitive side. (What- like you thought I'd enjoy being outwit by a 4 yr old???).

My maternal side won't let me do it. Something about the warmth, of hearing her little breaths, or maybe it's those long lashes. Nope. Can't do it. Lucky nobody in the office knows I'm this soft. I lose. She wins.

No comments: