Sunday, April 15, 2012

In 5 Years...

I bought a new car in February.  Nothing fancy.  A little Mazda 3, but it's a cute peppy little car.  When I bought it, I remember telling one of my friends "It's not the BMW I wanted, but I can't afford that car right now.  Maybe I will sell this in 3 years and get my BMW".

My friend's response- You will do no such thing.  He said "You do realize that in 5 years' time, your son will be just going to college and will need a new car.  I think you should hold onto this one for 5 years so you can pass it down to him".

My reaction- complete shock.  I mean, he is only 12 years old.  I never thought about college.  That's such a big-boy thing.  I can't even imagine high school.  I was completely frozen when he said it.

My son's reaction (he was in earshot)- Yeah!  This is MY CAR!!!

Kids.

The upside- he is taking really good care of the car.  He is the first to clean the inside, to tell his sister "don't eat in my car!" and to remind me when we need to car wash it so it keeps well.

Too funny.  Well, that's silver lining for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL..I should try that philosophy on my kids with respect to our new furniture. They will only inherit it if it is kept in good shape :-).


BF