Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Gratitude Journal

I started a gratitude journal a few weeks ago.  A friend told me that it would give me perspective and help me learn to appreciate all the good I have in my life.  So I took her advice, and I have to say, it was a fab idea.

I'm not saying it instantly makes everything better- we still have problems, and I have more than my fair share,and candidly, they just seem to be getting bigger.  But when you spend 5 mins a day being thankful for our blessings, the problems feel just a slight bit more manageable.

For example, when Dr. Clive passed away, I forced myself to write in the journal.  I was grateful to have known such an incredible human being.  I was grateful to have been blessed enough to have him in my life.  And I was grateful to have had him in my life as long as he was with us.  The process of writing in the journal made me feel a whole lot better.

I also found that the more I stuck to the routine of "counting my blessings" the more I realized just how many blessings I have.  As much as I do have my share of garbage to deal with, I also have a lot to be thankful for.

So today, I am grateful for my gratitude journal, and for the friend who encouraged me to write in it. :)

No comments: