Thursday, November 24, 2005

Resting Days

Well...I finished all the audit stuff...That was insanely difficult. When I went in on Monday morning, my boss commented on two things- that I looked like crap and that he didn't think I needed to do all the stuff that I did. That kind of made me feel bad. But then, 3 hours later when he did meet up with the auditors, he came back to me and told me that they needed all the documentation that I had done. Every single item was necessary. That made me feel a whole lot better.

Anyhow, I'm off today and tomorrow, and the weekend of course. That gives me 4 days to rest. My boss insisted that I take the time to get a break (wow- I must have looked really bad that day) :-)

Its not much of a teaparty, I'm actually just doing the stuff I would have done anyways- snow tires on the car, snow boots for the kids, clean house, laundry, but its nice to be at home.

As I was on my way out of the office last night, my colleague commented again on how I really need to learn to turn the blackberry off. I think he's right, so I'm trying it. I must admit, I do have the urge to check it, but I'm fighting it :-). I even have my msn set to "appear offline" so that my colleagues and team members won't ask me work questions. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself.

On another note, I have that ulcer test tomorrow. Not fun. Today's diet consists of clear liquids and laxatives to prepare for the test. Very nice. Maybe its better that I'm not in the office...That would just be all wrong.

We had snow last night and as I woke up I thought - dang- I don't even own a shovel. I guess its just another thing I didn't think of. My ex used to do all the outside stuff. I never had to touch anything like that...I guess I'm still getting used to all this manual labour. But to be honest, its still totally worth it. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. The freedom and peace I have with things the way they are - there's nothing like it. Sometimes I think back to the events that occurred right before I left, and I can't believe I let myself go through that. I'm not even ready to write about it, and I can count on one hand the number of people who actually know the truth. All I can say is that nobody should allow themselves to stay in a situation like that...Nobody. I still get nightmares and wake up at night from remembering half the stuff...But that was a year and a half ago, and it seems like a lifetime away.

Anyhow, this morning when I got the kids in the car and opened the garage- my driveway was shoveled! Those neighbours are so awesome! Who are these people, and why are they so incredibly kind to me? Mental note- extra large gift basket for them at Christmas. Mental note number two- I have to remember to reciprocate. Hmmm- Maybe I can get my 6yr old son to help me shovel the snow next time. What- like you wouldn't do the same? We can make a game out of it- let's see who can shovel faster :-)

Either way, I am totally shocked at how awesome those neighbours are. I mean, I know people like that existed back in the Beaver Cleaver days, but I really didn't expect it in today's self-centered-all-about-me world. People just aren't like that anymore, at least, not that often. Wow- lucky me, I feel so blessed. Of all the homes to move into, I got this one that I love, and of all the neighbours in the world, I got the best ones. I mean, its not about shoveling the driveway, or fertilizing my lawn, its about the fact that they actually care enough to go out of their way. I don't know if its because they know its just me and the kids, or if they would do it anyways, but their kindness is really overwhelming. The funny thing is, I bet they don't even have a clue how big an impact their kindness has on me, and how much it makes me reflect about myself, or about how much it rebuilds my faith in humanity. They just do it - just because that's who they are. Random acts of kindness. Pretty incredible, huh?

No comments: