Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Office Audit

I am drained. I have been working late every night this week. I know, it goes against everything I posted last week, but our department is going through an audit starting Monday, and these things have a way of taking more time out of our day than we originally expected.

It's not like our group is doing some bad stuff, and it's not like we've cut major corners or something. But audits are about documentation and paper trails, and so it's always good to double check and make sure that everything is good before someone finds a mistake for you.

I know I promised myself I wouldn't work late, and that I would take it easy. But really- this is different, and here's why: My extra effort right now is not for my own benefit. In fact, I don't think it really benefits me in any major way. (I mean, I didn't even tell my boss about all the extra work hours, so really- almost nobody knows I'm doing this).

But this is about loyalty and reciprocation, and yes, integrity. My boss has done so much for me over the years, that I owe him big time. If I can put in a few extra hours to make sure that his department looks good, I'll feel like I contributed back. Not that I don't every single day- I know I'm a great employee, and that he considers me a valuable part of the team. But still- this is about supporting someone who's always supported me.

Since this is not about personal career advancement, or about recognition, or about messed up priorities, I have no issues with the long hours. OK- Aside from the fact that the ulcer is bugging me, but really- that will have to be dealt with by slowing down next week. Not the best answer, but hey- I am going for another doctor's visit tomorrow morning, so I'm doing the best I can.

Anyhow, enough about the audit. I want to talk about something totally awesome- my parents' support. I got home at 10:15 pm today (left the office at 9), and my parents picked up the kids, fed them at their house, then brought them to my house and put them to sleep. Isn't that awesome? What amazing parents!

I came home and saw my mom lying on my couch half asleep and my dad waiting for me in my living room and I felt like I was a 17 year old, with parents who were waiting up for her. Only this time, I loved it. A 17 year old's instinct is to complain and tell her parents to leave her alone and stop keeping tabs on her. But for me, to see my parents waiting there, just doing whatever they could to help and support me, it melted my heart.

My dad asked me how everything was going. I told him it was all on track. He smiled and said "Good. That boss of yours is a good person. You make sure you do whatever you can to make this go well for him". Good old Indian Loyalty. Gotta love it. That is actually one thing about this culture that I do love. Loyalty, integrity, and yes, some of the old fashioned values.

I said some. :-)

Next- my parents asked about the ulcer, asked if I had dinner yet (I didn't), and my mom pointed to a tupperware on my counter. She said she knew me well enough to know I wouldn't eat, so she brought dinner for me. Saved. I was starved. God Bless my awesome parents.

I don't know why as teenagers we go through such a tug of war with our parents, but I have to say, parents are the best thing in the world. No matter where you go, or what you do, they will always be there for you. Funny- I had a really stressful day at the office and even as an almost-divorced-single-mom, I still get to come home to the same comfort I got when I was a little child.

I still remember those cold winter days as early as the second grade when I got home from school, only to find my mom waiting at the door for me with a warm cup of cocoa. Now that was really special. Just as special as this evening's scene of my parents waiting patiently for me in my family room. Waiting to make sure their daughter got home safely. Waiting to make sure their grandchildren were tucked in nicely. But never expecting much in return.

Some people would laugh and say that I'm too dependent, but really I'm not. I'm actually very independent, and rather confident about that. Some would say that I get pampered too much by my family. Others have actually told me to back away, and not let my parents be so involved in my life. I would respond by saying that those people don't know what they're missing. :-)

No comments: