Sunday, October 16, 2005

A Yard Full of Weeds

It amazes me how quickly weeds can grow in a yard, and how bloody long it takes to pull them out. I'm not talking little tiny weeds here, I'm talking the big menacing looking suckers with nasty thorns the size of Texas. You know, it took me two hours out there and after those two hours, I was ready to pass out. One look around and I realized, I had only gotten though maybe 1/3 of the backyard (and to be honest, my yard is not huge). As I carried the big brown bag full of weeds to the front, I noticed new ones starting in the front yard. I was in shock. Where did those come from? I pulled those out just two weeks ago and here they are again!

It was at that moment that I started to feel just a little hopeless. It almost feels like I will never get rid of all those weeds, let alone get to actual planting stuff, or house renovations or anything else. I need help with all this work, but who's going to help me?

I know weeds aren't the main issue but all of a sudden it hit me. This is my life. By making the decision to be a single parent living on my own, I've committed myself to a lifetime of never being able to catch up. Seriously- people with two adults in a household can barely keep up with the chores of a home, and what the heck was I thinking buying one? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love this house, but a condo was looking pretty good while I was standing out there amongst all those weeds.

Then my normal rational side kicked in (thank GOD!). I mean really, I don't have the right to complain, cuz at the end of the day, how many single moms do you know who can afford a home? I need to be more grateful. And, I'm doing this on my own by choice. Imagine what its like for those in countries like Pakistan who lost their spouses to the earthquake and have to deal with that loss and the fact that they are now in dire need of the basic necessities of life? In the grand scheme of things, weeds are no big deal. In fact, I think I'm just a little bit grateful that I'm sitting here with weeds/housework as my major complaints, cuz really, it could always be worse. I have a beautiful home, two beautiful children that I adore, a loving family, awesome friends, a great job, and a chance at a new beginning. What more could I possibly want?

I'm going to walk away this day making the conscious decision to appreciate what I have and to be thankful for the people and things that surround me, including the weeds. After all, if I hadn't had to spend that time today pulling them out, I may not have stopped to smell the flowers.

No comments: