Monday, October 31, 2005

Our First Halloween

This is our first Halloween in this house. Kinda neat. The children had these teensie weensie little pumpkins that they picked at their school trip to the pumpkin patch. We carved them and they are sitting out on our window ledge by the door. They are so small I was afraid we wouldn't be able to use them, but actually, everyone seems to think they are adorable. They are so tiny that I could barely fit the candles inside. But they're just as cute as my two little kids, and one is just slightly bigger than the other (just like my son and daughter), so I guess it is kind of fitting to have them outside my house.

This year, I had the dilemma around how to take the children trick or treating and give out candy at the same time- I guess that little issue wasn't in Separation 101. Fortunately, my sister-in-law came to the rescue. She's taking the kids out, and I'm giving out the candy. This is a really nice neighbourhood, and its great to get to meet the neighbours.

My kids are dressing up as Batman and Cinderella, the two most typical costumes for this year, but they do look really cute. When they tried their outfits on, my daughter said "I'll be the princess and you get to save me". My son muttered something about Batman not saving princesses, that he kills bad guys. When my daughter adamantly told him he had to play he said "if you want to be saved, you should call Spiderman". Kids are hilarious.

Yesterday we had my daughter's family birthday party at my parent's house. She also has a big party with all her friends this coming Sunday- 20 kids with a bunch of jumping castles, ball pits, etc. My head hurts just thinking about it. It will be nice to see the kids having fun, but the thought of the noise level makes me a little freaked out...Either way, I'm sure she will love it.

As I was running back and forth to and from my car in preparation for yesterday's birthday party, my two neighbours (one from each side of my house) were taking care of their grass. When they asked what was new, I told them about my busy week- My daughter's birthday party, Halloween, Eid (religious holiday), and her second birthday party. They commented that it sounded like I always have a lot on my plate and offered to help me with my lawn, since they were already doing their own. I told them that I couldn't accept their offer, that it was very kind of them, but that I would feel bad. Honestly, I have no issues dragging my brother out to help with my lawn, but not my neighbours! They insisted, and one neighbour decided to cut my grass and the other one came afterwards and fertilized it for me.

I will never be able to get past how incredibly kind people can be. This tiny act of kindness just made me love this neighbourhood so much more, and made this house feel that much more like home. Its weird, but the thought that even strangers around me care in some way or another is just so touching. I never expected to have such nice neighbours. I never expected to have so many wonderful people around me. I never thought that I could be all alone, yet have more support than ever. Its weird, but I am less lonely and much happier now than I was while I was married. Isn't it odd how you could be with someone, yet still find that you're all on your own? A really great friend of mine told me that she would rather be alone for the right reasons than be with someone for the wrong ones. Words to live by.

No comments: