Sunday, October 30, 2005

An Excuse to Play

I went shopping with my sister (no- I did NOT buy shoes), but I did have a great time. There's something about shopping that just totally takes away any and all stress. Its like relaxation therapy or something. Its funny- I was buying stuff that I had to buy- clothes for the children, toiletries, even some groceries. But the best part of my day was my trip to the toy store.

My daughter's 4th Birthday is on Halloween (Monday). Its also almost the end of Ramadan, which means we will have a religious holiday on Friday that is pretty much like Christmas for Muslims. I spent my time buying toys for both children, buying toys for other children, as well as buying toys for my daughter's birthday. It was fun picking up some of the toys that I remember playing with as a child- board games like Guess Who, Perfection, and Operation. But the absolute most fun of the day was buying the Barbie stuff for my daughter.

I went nuts in the Barbie aisle. My sister was with me, and we were just dying over all the stuff they had. My daughter is getting 3 barbie dolls, a Barbie kitchen, the Barbie nursery, the Barbie store, and the barbie Volvo. I spent waaaay more money than I should have and I still came home thinking - damn- I wish I had enough to get that bedroom- I mean where the heck will Barbie sleep- on the floor? Maybe we can get her that another time.

When my sister and I got home, we couldn't resist. My children are with their dad this weekend, so we started to open up the Barbie stuff and play with it. I know, its really shameful- but she's going to be 4- how the heck will she ever know we opened the box? My brother in law was watching us and all he could say is "you guys are nuts- what the heck are you doing?"...But my sister and I, we were loving it- the dishes, the little forks, the teacups- man- the living room even had a plasma TV and remote control! It was better than my living room- and her Volvo rocks!

Anyhow, this little nostalgic evening was lots of fun! Tomorrow, we are having a little birthday party for my daughter, and I can't wait to see the look on her face when she sees her new toys. But even more- I can't wait to join in when she plays with them- its going to be so much fun!

I guess that's one of the really cool things about having kids. Some people say it ages you to have children- because they can be so much work. But you know what? It also can help to keep you young at heart. All you have to do is remember what it was like to be a kid- to learn to think and play like a kid again. After all, a youthful attitude helps take the edge off of being a grown up. I've been the stressed out woman for quite awhile- and one of the things that I've recently learned is that I need to remind myself how to play and have fun. After all- that's the great part of life- learning to enjoy yourself- even if it means finding an excuse to bust out the Barbie dolls every once in awhile.

No comments: