Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Back to the Grind...

I really enjoyed being lazy....it was something I never really got to do in my life.  Mat leave was the only time I ever had off, and really, that wasn't time off.

So I started the new job.  Today was day 3....so far so good.  I learned a few things:

  • Companies in the same industry are more similar than different 
  • That being said, culture is radically different from one place to the next
  • I feel good about this change :)
  • Taking public transit to work is not fun if you are used to driving in/yapping on the phone and listening to the radio full blast in the morning
  • When you take public transit, you cannot wear heels to work or your feet get blisters by the end of the day (mental note, I need to buy appropriate walking shoes)
  • Makeup melts off your face if you run to catch a train in the heat
  • Saying you have to catch a train is a good way to leave the office on time without people bugging you to stay for "five more minutes"
  • When you leave a company after 18 years, you feel lost in the new place, but the new place will still treat you like you are the best thing since sliced bread (great feeling)
  • Good friends from your last company will still stay by your side even after you leave.  See - those friendships weren't because of the company-they ARE because of the people!
Overall, I am feeling good so far.  

No comments: