Sunday, March 29, 2009

Oprah's Show on Domestic Violence

If you go back to a man that hits you, it is because you don't think you are worthy of being with a man who won't. If you are raised to really love yourself and think you are a wonderful person, somebody hitting you is really offensive to you.

-Oprah Winfrey

It was an interesting show. She talked about some of the key signs to look for:
  • Guys who are nicer to you in public than when you are in private (the world thinks he is great, but you know he is not)
  • When you get paranoid that he will love someone else
  • When you are blamed for all his problems
  • When he has a super nice side and a super dark side (they are never 100% bad 100% of the time)
  • If your partner vets who you can hang out with and who you can spend time with
  • Threats "if you REALLY loved me you would have done xyz"
  • Making you feel guilty for everything
  • Insisting on sex all of the time
  • Reading your text messages
But you know, all these signs aren't always there. I think the key is that something has to feel wrong. If you know you can't talk about it with your family/friends, it's wrong.

And you know, the bigger issue is that there is so much judgment around domestic violence, even towards the one being abused. The abuser is seen as a jerk. So if you are hoping that you will work things out, you won't tell others because he will be tainted for life. The one being abused is seen as pathetic, with no self respect.

All around, it's a rough spot to be in. In my opinion, you need to be confident about a few things when you leave:
  1. He won't get better on his own
  2. He will hit you again
  3. This is unacceptable to you
  4. Your safety comes first, not matter what it costs.
When a woman realizes these things, she will be better prepared to face the battle when she leaves. And yes, it is always a battle...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this - I have a really close friend who recently emailed me about an "event" where her partner overstepped the boundaries of a safe, healthy relationship and admitted this was not the first time. I was initially floored, but as I thought about it not entirely surprised. She also told me she does not want to discuss this right now, but the email was to document the incident. I have to respect her wishes but did give her a key to my house and told her to use it anytime she and the kids need to. She is a strong, successful woman like you Shaz, who I think would take a lot from this post. I will be sending it to her tonight.
xoKJP

shaz said...

Hey hon. Please do email her my blog. Tell her that if he hits once, he will hit again. Sorry but it's true.

Good for you for giving her the key. You're a good friend.

Lend her an ear when she is ready to chat. Or give her my tel number/email and tell her to contact me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shaz,
Just started following your blog (I'm a single mom, divorced). My DH wasn't a physical abuser, maybe an emotional abuser, but I definitely think he was on the brink of physical abuse. What's the thing about "insists on sex all the time?" In retrospect, I just suspected he had an addiction to sex. Is there some controlling aspect related to this?

BTW- thanks for your blog - so honest, so courageous!

S

shaz said...

Hi S, and welcome :)

I'm not sure what the deal is with the "insisting on sex all the time". I've heard of it more recently. One of the common trends I've learned about is inappropriate sexual activity (sexaholics, cheaters, or forcing their wives/partners). At the end of the day, it is all different ways of control.

My blog took alot of time, and thank you for your kind words. I don't know about courageous, as I was only able to start writing once I left, but it's definitely as honest as I could be.

Take care, and God Bless.
Shaz.