Sunday, January 25, 2009

Disney in February

I have booked a short trip to Disney World. I decided that the children needed the break. It's been 41/2 years since my separation and we have never had a true vacation together. The children have suffered, watched our faces as their lives as they knew it shattered into pieces, been abused by their father, watched all the bickering and arguing and been subjected to therapists, doctors, legal assessments etc, etc etc. I feel bad for them. I think they need a break. I most definitely need one. The issue of course is a financial one.

So I called Airmiles. It turns out, I had enough Airmiles for 3 tickets to Disney (I will of course have to pay the taxes). Unfortunately, they will have connections through Washington but at least we will get to go. Then I called Starwood Hotels as I have a Mastercard with MBNA that earns points. Turns out I have enough points for 5 nights in Orlando at a Sheraton Hotel. So, on the evening of Feb 11 we will leave for Florida for 4 days, 5 nights (we get there at midnight on the 12th). We will have to spend the whole day Monday in connections getting home, but at least we get to go and it will cost me Disney entrance, taxes on the airline tickets and food. We will have 4 full days at Disney which given what I am paying, is not a bad deal at all.

Guess all that credit card debt had a small amount of silver lining :)

Anyhow, when I told the children, they were elated. I had to get their dad's permission, and after a bit of arguing, he reluctantly agreed. (I'm guessing that his agreement came from the fact that he would have to provide the children with an explanation around why he refused to let them go to Disney). Either way, he consented, and I have it in writing.

My daughter has been counting the "sleeps" till we get to leave.

I am excited for the opportunity to take them away for a few days. Disney will be fab :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! You all need the break and Disney is the most Magical Place on earth.

Love ya!
VW

Anonymous said...

Great trip plans. If you have CAA check out their Disney entrance prices, they may have deals that would help you.

BF

shaz said...

Awesome advice BF, thank you!