Monday, October 13, 2008

Facebook

Today my ex did yet another irresponsible thing. I know, I shouldn't be surprised right? But seriously, I am royally ticked. He setup a facebook account for my 8 year old boy. I got an invite from my son to add him as a friend. Now where do I start with WHY I am so ticked?

  1. It is highly inappropriate for an 8 yr old to have a facebook account.
  2. It is even against the facebook privacy policy to have an account under the age of 13.
  3. My ex told my son to enter the wrong date of birth to open an account. He basically taught my son that it is OK to lie online to get what you want.
  4. He setup my son's profile as "single" and "interested in men". WTF??
  5. He added a picture of my son to the profile!
  6. He never even spoke to me about it first. Hello? Social networking site for an 8 year old?!
I waited until my son came home and I spoke to him about it. I explained that it is not right to lie on these sites and that there is a reason why it has an age of 13. He asked if he could please keep it and I explained that while I really would love to do this for him, it just wouldn't be right. He paused a moment and said "if it makes you that unhappy that I have it, let's just cancel it".

I love my little boy. Thank God these are the days where they still respect their mothers.

I will be shutting down that account and sending an email to his father.

What a royal idiot.

No comments: