Sunday, November 25, 2012

Learning to Swim

So I signed up for swimming lessons. I'm 40 and I never learned how to swim. I'm not afraid of the water (on the contrary, I love the water). I just never actually learned.

So I've signed up for 5 months of adult group swim. Yippee :)

After 3 weeks of lessons, I feel optimistic. I think I'm actually going to learn! It's awesome!

Week one I learned how to breathe in the water and kick. (Separately).

Week two I got to be the nerd with the flutter board, and was taught to kick and breathe at the same time. Turn your head to breathe in air, breathe out air in the water and keep kicking.

Week three, lose the flutter board and add the arms. ADD THE ARMS! I was able to do one lap of the pool without a floating device! Yaay!

It's a small thing, but a really big deal for me. It's one thing I've done purely for myself. And the kids have been so supportive. "Mama, you have lessons tonight, mama lets practice".

It's all very sweet. I'm very excited.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for you. Next step is you can join my swim team with me :-).

BF

shaz said...

Um- If you're part of a swim team, I bet you are miles away (and that is intimidating!)- but thanks for the invite :)