Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Year in Review

I always like to look at my past year as the year comes to the end. I like to look at what went well and what was not so great. And I consistently hope that the next year will be better, although I have to admit, I don't know if my hoping has helped much thus far.

I have to say that 2008 was my worst year yet. There was a lot of difficult stuff to deal with and stress was high all year round:
  • I had the CAS case in Jan where my ex left a bruise on my son in the beginning of the year, resulting in CAS involvement and police involvement
  • I had to go through the court ordered family assessment for 6 months (but as a plus, thank God it went well in the end)
  • I had to deal with massive financial issues, which are still ongoing unfortunately
  • I had the usual ongoing banter with my ex (but I guess that isn't new)
  • I had to deal with health issues for a few months which almost resulted in surgery (but fortunately they all turned out OK)
  • My son was diagnosed with ADHD and we had to put him on medication (but as a plus, he is doing noticeably better now and his confidence in himself is better)
  • My mom was hospitalized in Feb/March and then had her knee surgery in Sept (but fortunately, everything is OK and she is now better off than she was before the surgery- less pain, and much more mobile)
  • The court case is still dragging on
What went well this year/what I accomplished:
  • I have been doing well at work
  • I made some very rich, meaningful friendships- not new people, but deepened some of my existing relationships
  • The court case looks like it should be moving in my favor (keep your fingers crossed)
  • My health is good, and I kept off the weight that I lost in 2007
It may not sound like much, but the big accomplishment for me tonight was to see the silver lining in all the bad stuff that happened.

One thing I know for sure is that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes we don't understand the reason when we are in the depth of things, but there is a reason and if we are lucky we will get to know what it was at some point during our lifetime.

I'm really looking forward to 2009. I really think this will be a good year for me. A year of personal growth, spiritual growth, and hopefully some key decisions as well.

And really- 2008 sucked, so I am just glad it is over.

Bring on the New Year...

No comments: