Friday, April 06, 2007

Happy Independence Day!

Independence indeed. It was one year ago today that my divorce was finalized. One year ago when I finally got to change my name and be me again. Ironically, it was also one year ago when his obsession with me went to full. Funny how the obsession got really bad when it all finalized. In a conversation a few months back, he said that the final straw for him wasn't the divorce. It was my name change. For some reason, the very first time he saw my changed name on his call display, he knew that I was looking forward to my independent life. It was then that he realized that I was really gone.

That would explain his summer craziness- showing up at my friend's homes, my parents' home, an Imam's home, begging them to help me win him back. Yes my friends, that was a year ago. It feels like just yesterday when I had my panic attack driving into the office and my office friend and I had to leave and take a day off. (Love the friend, love my former boss for understanding).

One year later, it's still on, stronger than ever, but somehow, something is different. And although it does flip flop on me every now and then, I think that something is hope.

In a few months time, I'll blog about the legal stuff I'm going through. But really, I've come to terms with the fact that I will have to spend a lot of money and court time to fight. I've also come to terms with the fact that my last lawyer screwed me over, charged me for a court battle without a day in court, and the fact that a court battle should have happened in the first place. Hashing this out in court is the only way I can be free. Because then, I will have an absolutely bulletproof court order specifying which dates/times he can be with the kids, who makes decisions for the kids, and there will be no room for negotiation. No room for negotiation means no need for further contact. That's heaven on earth if you ask me.

It's unfortunate that I had to wait this long, but it is a good thing that this will finally be done. I've got a rough 6 months ahead of me, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

No comments: