Friday, July 26, 2013

We are all we need.

My daughter has been sick for 2 days with a high fever, sore throat - a basic cold.  I've been keeping her hydrated and medicated to keep the fever down.

Today I made a batch of soup.  I work from home on  Fridays, so fortunately, I was able to put it on and let it cook in the background while I attended all my meetings.

She's been lying on the sofa next to me, drifting in and out of sleep.  At one point, she woke up and thanked me.  "You're the best mom in the world.  I remember when I was little and sick, you did this for me all the time".  I told her I would do this my whole life.  She's a joy to have and it's not work.  Even late night wake-ups (she was up crying last night at 4 am)- they are not work.  It's a labor of love and I would do it a thousand times over, with pleasure.

I told her not to worry.  She can grow up, be an old lady like me with kids of her own and I will still lay her down on my sofa, cover her with a big blanket and make a batch of soup.  She smiled and said "Mom I would do it for you too".

I told her I know she would.  I have no doubt.  After all, the three of us are a family.  "We are all we have, so we will always need to be here for each other".

"No mommy.  You're wrong.  We are all we need".

My heart melted.  I stand corrected by my 11 year old daughter.  We definitely are all we need.  We have been blessed with each other.

So does this mean the wounds are starting to heal?  I certainly hope so.  Maybe it's a sign.

No comments: