Friday, June 28, 2013

Grade 8 Graduation

My son graduated from grade 8.  I promised him I would not cry.  (I think he feels it would be embarrassing for the supposedly cool mom to be the one crying.  Still, I'm glad he requested it or I would have been bawling). 

I was the first one to arrive at the venue.  Two hours early.  They were still setting up.  A teacher asked if I wanted to come back later.  No.  I will wait.  I want the best seat in the house.  My baby is graduating.  I'm a single mom.  And truly a single mom, because dad is a deadbeat.  This might as well be my graduation.   I think they let me stay out of pity.  Or something.  Either way, I had the best seat in the house. 

It was a lovely night.  He looked so handsome in his suit.  And as he walked across the stage,  I felt a personal sense of accomplishment.  I mean, he was 4 when I first got divorced.  Imagine how long a journey it's been.  He was still at the phase of potty accidents and night diapers.  And there he was.  This handsome young man in a suit, almost as tall as I am. 

Ok I cried a bit.  But I didn't let him see.

After the student dinner I went to pick him up.  The principal came by and told me that I have an awesome kid.  I told her I knew that.  And that I'm lucky. 

And  then she said "Give yourself some credit.  He turned out like that because he has you for a mother". 

And then the tears started.  I think my son was a bit mortified.  Crying in front of the principal AFTER the ceremony has to be worse that crying during it.   But he didn't say a word.  He just squeezed my hand and smiled. 

In about 5 years, as he completes high school, he will have a bigger graduation.  That one will be more emotional.  But until then, the next 5 years, the impressionable  high school years will require a lot of patience, work, and love.


I'm ready for the journey.  

No comments: