Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy Eid 2009

So Ramadan has come and gone and Eid came and went on the weekend. I find it amazing how fast time flies.

During the course of Ramadan, I learned a few things:
  1. I learned how difficult a fast becomes when you tag just a few more hours of daylight into the day (the Islamic calendar is shorter than our calendar, so Ramadan moves by almost 2 weeks every year. As it inches closer and closer to the peak of summer, the fasts are becoming increasingly harder).
  2. I learned that we, as humans tend to be ungrateful. I learned this from my experience complaining about being a single mom, only to learn that others have it much harder than I do. I blogged about this experience in my last post.
  3. I learned that we as humans make many mistakes in life (even the best of us), and that at some point, we have to make our wrongs right again. As long as we know when we are wrong, we are still headed in the right direction. Life is a long learning process, and the journey is not an easy one.
  4. I learned that I have the best of friends. Friends that will stay by your side, even when you make mistakes.
  5. I learned that a bout of bronchitis can throw off an entire week.
  6. I learned that when you self medicate and try to treat everything as allergies, it doesn't work. Tip of the month- Claritin will not make you feel better if you have bronchitis. Antibiotics, on the other hand, are your best friend in this scenario.
  7. I learned that when you pray really hard for something, sometimes it does come true.
  8. I learned that fears can be paralyzing.
  9. I learned that when you eat a cheeseburger after 14 hours of fasting, you will feel sick.
  10. I learned that the thoughts in my head sometimes don't make any sense at all when I start typing.
But thanks for listening anyways. You all fall under item #4...

No comments: